MHC 6301 Week 4 Assignment 2 HCO’s Board
The Governance Institute define HCO’s as key members in the governing with skills to solved healthcare new challenges that require actions to fulfill responsibilities over their organizations. Board members play a key role for the institution in different aspects, for example in the financial, strategic, mission, vision and values of the organization’s implementation. HCO’s are known for being key members in the governing body, they face challenges taking over multiple responsibilities of the organization (The Governance Institute, 2009). Another aspect of their job is policy implementation, evaluation of business plans, enhance creditworthiness, monitor financial statements, communicate with senior management and managing the CEO.
The Governance Institute describes the HCO’s members as the best leaders, these are the key elements for the success of an organization and their stakeholders (2009). Examples of various committees in a HCO’s Board are: Ethics & Professionalism Committee (EPCOM), Executive Committee, (American Board of Medical Specialties, 2016), Quality Committee, Finance Committee (Central Peninsula Hospital, 2016), Regulatory, Audit Committee, Compliance & Government Affairs Committee (Johnson & Johnson, 2016).
The American Board of Medical Specialties Director’s (ABMS) was founded in 1993 to support the new advancements in medicine and technology, is recognized national wide under the non-for-profit organizations seeking for the improvement in quality care by standardizing medical practice and certifications. Their Executive Committee has the power to make all the decisions when the actual Board of Directors is absent or in meetings. The EPCOM function is to oversight and provide guidance over governing policies, procedures related to ethics and professionalism over physician practices (American Board of Medical Specialties, 2016).
Central Peninsula’s Finance Committee (CPGH) main purpose is to develop capital annual budgets to motivate staff and managers. In accordance with the Board of Director’s they strive to achieve organizational financial goals that are reviewed every month by the committee to develop strategic decisions. The Quality Committee is committed to just that, patient safety and customer service assisting with quality assurance plans; their main focus is on the integration of quality management plans and the analyzation of operational risk management. Looking for trends observed from patient care data collections and infection control. (Central Peninsula Hospital, 2016).
The Audit Committee report assists the Board of Directors by overseeing financial management, reporting company procedures from independent auditors and preparing the Report of the Audit Committee as mandated by the SEC rules. The Regulatory, Compliance & Government Affairs Committee reports to the Board of Directors from the oversighting of governmental issues and compliances of standards that could impact organizations. This is done by stablished standards and the enforcement of quality product, quality compliance and policies program (Johnson & Johnson Services, 2016).
Discussion Questions (DQ)
• Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
• Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
• One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
• I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
• Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
• In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
• Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
• Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
• Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
• Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
• I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
• I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
• As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
• It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
• For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
• Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
• Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
• Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
• The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
• Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
• If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
• I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
• As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
• Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
o Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
o Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.